Monday, December 26, 2011

Happy Happy Holidays

There were so many "firsts" for me this Christmas:  first time I saw a champagne of fireworks burst out from the outlines of Rockwell Makati's skyscrapers; first time I wrapped sighs around presents for people who are islands and islands away;  first time I missed children mutilating Christmas carols; first time I tread glumly lit streets and marveled at windows of houses where the laughter of families shone out along with the blinking Christmas lights; first time I saw a mom cradling a kid with encephalitis waiting for Christmas eve in an overpass, her hands extended for alms to people who are rushing home; first time the city and I spent Christmas, and how it hummed its warmth to me while I silently answered with an inner hysteria.

Christmas is really about family, about getting together, isn't it?  Too bad I decided to celebrate it all by myself.  Me and my shadow didn't get along quite well.

No comments: